Sunday, October 19, 2008

AWARENESS

The month of OCTOBER is more than halfway over and I'm just discovering that it had many MISSIONS for the MONTH. October was:







In other words it had many issues of HEALTH AWARENESS MONTH and of the ones, I've listed above someone near and dear to me has been touced by these issues & concerns. 
My life has been impacted by all of the above personally and some of the other ones in the Health link also.

There was even a MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS WEEK from October 5th-11th and you know what...I was NOT made AWARE of most of these at all. What shocks me is that is how it is with many of the LIFE MISSIONS we may have and do not share. 

Our LIFE MISSION is to SHARE JESUS every month all year long, not just Christmas or Easter. Many of us started our BLOGS to share JESUS with non-believers and we are just reaching others with our same interests. Now this is not to invalidate ALL the good that is being done in Jesus Name within this Body of Christ or our sisterhood / brotherhood but WE ARE MADE for A MISSION and have a LIFE MESSAGE to be sharing with others who are not aware. Perhaps we need a CHRIST AWARENESS MONTH but I believe it is every day, every week, every year, everywhere!!!

When I came across some of these AWARENESSes for OCTOBER in various new blogs, I invited the blogger to come share. There are Bloggers out there sharing their concerns and some have shared here. I, myself, had other intentions, when I started this post for MISSION4MONDAY.

WELCOME TO MISSION 4 MONDAY!

Last week I mentioned that I would like to share in the future about PROJIMO but
I decided since I had not yet visited there personally that I should wait. 

So I came to write that between now and Thanksgiving, I had a different mission, (which I will share at the end) but the Holy Spirit took over and the above was written. Perhaps He wants me to share on the people I know that live daily with the above health issues. I paused and prayed about who, what, how, why...and have decided just to post a photo of some of the people and say nothing about them, only who they are to me and which AWARENESS impacts their life, except the one about me, which I will only share briefly. 

I shared about this a few times on my main blog but it was buried or overlooked. The reason I guess I am sharing it now, is because the first step to recovery has always been admitting that you have a problem. You cannot start healing until you can admit that you are powerless & only God is in control. For years, I  ran away from this health issue, denying it and the problems that it created in my life. 

I believe the biggest reason is the stigma that society puts on people with mental health issues. My own husband had told me for years that we did not have problems with our marriage, but that I was the problem. I never fully grasped what he meant. 

I figured since I was the problem, I would get the help and I had my fair share of seeking worldly help. I determined in my own mind that the Lord, my God is My HEALER. There's a long story behind this that I will spare you all the details.

I do not have an official diagnosis though I know that I suffered various forms of depressions(clinical) and was treated for them and under proper medical supervision. I imagine it's in my medical records. But my husband (who is not a medical doctor but an educator and has been on various mental health committees) tells me that I have bipolar disorder. 

Last year, I finally came to agree with that diagnosis while reading about it with David Oliver, who is doing research and has a business/newsletter he sends out daily. Then since becoming a blogger, I encountered Nancie, from MORE THAN CONQUERORS and many of the blog friends she has listed, as well as the many excellent resources. Needless to say, I finally came to terms with it.

[PLEASE BE SURE TO VISIT & PRAY FOR NANCIE, she is readjusting bit by bit and taking a somewhat gradual return to blogging but she usually links here with excellent info but has to watch her amount of visits and blogging for right now. But let's not forget her.]

The reason I share this is because since leaving home in Minnesota, going back & forth to here in Mexico since 1995, I have not had serious problems with this because I know myself and my limits. I have years of learning how to deal and cope while functioning well.

I have paced myself and do what God enables me to do. When you are in your mania stage (the high end), you can be very productive and energetic, taking on more than you should. This stage is also where you can behave very improperly and make quite a mess of your life. You can exhibit all the worse qualities if unchecked or you are able to do multi-tasking and accomplish much.

This past spring, I tried to share this information with my dear friend here, who is the wife of the pastor of one of the sweetest family churches I know here, where I find the most comfort, because I felt she knew me the best. She had seen all the good I was capable of and never seen me in my low moments. Obviously it was not effective or understood. I let it go. But I gave her an article in Spanish to read. As most Christians believe, she felt it was perhaps spiritual but certainly something God could heal. And so do I!

Then this August and September, something occurred that triggered  panic attacks & a mild depression. At first, I was over tired and then fatigued for no real reason and thought it had to do with having driven to the border and back (1,500 miles) but as I was not able to sleep, then my eating & drinking was out of whack...it finally dawned on me. I had the warning signals and the symptons, I just did not recognize them at first.

Many people have been praying for me without even knowing how much prayer I really needed or for what, but God knows. I only mention this, at a great risk to my credibility, not as an excuse but for better understanding of how very dependent I am on OUR LORD, who leads me through the valleys over and over again to the top of the mountain. Also, to THANK YOU all for encouraging me and keeping me in your prayers. 

It is hard enough to deal with a mental illness when you are home with your personal medical help and support, but when you are in a foreign country, with none of this and unable to drive yourself home, you are faced with dealing with it the best you can with God's unfailing love, mercy, forgiveness, wisdom, direction and continual healing, grounding you in HIS WORD & HIS VICTORY to overcome while you thrive & strive to wellness once more. You truly learn to hold on to HIS PROMISES in HIS WORD that are DAILY MANNA to your spirit & soul! 

This is a very important issue of HEALTH AWARENESS especially to know your self, your own weaknesses and your own strengths but also the necessity to seek medical help and begin a wellness plan for the temple of the Holy Spirit & the mind of Christ.

"That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, 
in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. 
For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12:10

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;...
1 Corinthians 6:19

...who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under His control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like His glorious body.
Philippians 3:21

He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; He enables me to stand on the heights...
Psalm 18:33 & 2 Samuel 22:34
The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, He enables me to go on the heights.
Habakkah 3:16

AND HERE IS HOW GOD RESPONDED THIS A.M. IN MY DAILY MANNA FROM IBS

John 14:16-21

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever--the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.'


OUR GOD IS SO AWESOME!!!

HERE are the people in my life that share in those listed above for AWARENESS in October:
*May God help us be more aware and share with others HIS SON JESUS & these issues!

(1) my sister Carol, survivor                                                           






              
  

                                                   








(2)(4) Tracy, my daughter                            (3) Blake, her son


                     (5) SOPHIE GRACE grand daughter of a dear friend





My other MISSION is on my main blog 
it's a 40 day Challenge to LOVE...The Love Dare...
from the movie FIREPROOF! From last Friday until Thanksgiving! Come join us!
It is written for spouses, but it is my belief that it can be used for anyone who you need to dare to LOVE more and perhaps is a challenge...just apply the principles of The Love Dare. Start at home and then the world in which you live.

THANK YOU FOR RETURNING TO MISSION4MONDAY and PARTICIPATING!
MAY GOD BLESS YOU FOR SHARING YOUR LIFE MESSAGE & MISSION WITH US!




7 comments:

Grammy said...

Thank you for sharing an incite to your life. I too have had a difficult life, And only this year have I reached out for help. And learned to live a more positive mindset. My blog is like therapy for me to live with joy. It helps me to think of positive ways to add to my life each day. It is hard to explain. But I am one the road to recovery of depression. And god is in the books that help me to learn from.
You are truly blessed to be in the life your are in. You have the gift to help others. I started a blob on depression and threw it out. Now I share bits of my life with ways to overcome. So maybe I can help another by example.

Marsha said...

Thank you for sharing this, Peggy. I have family members that struggle with depression and bi-polar. Both are very misunderstood and people often are quick to judge. This took a tremendous amount of courage for you to post. I love your for being transparent because I know that it's for the sake of helping others.

Thank you for the precious card you sent this evening. How very thoughtful!

Love you my friend.

Denise said...

You are precious to Gods heart my dear friend. Thank you so much for sharing your life with us, bless you. I love you.

Named Alicia said...

Thank you for sharing. I suffered with depression for several years. When I finally came out and admitted it to other friends, I was amazed at how many said, "I suffer too." It is almost unspoken of in Christian circles. Almost like we are not supposed to suffer with this. It is important for others to know that yes, we do suffer. But more importantly for us to know that yes, there is hope!

Mary said...

Peggy,

I enjoyed your post. I have struggled much of my life both financially and health wise. Thank you for such an inspirational post and also for inviting me to be part of your meme last week. I enjoy participating and it gives me a mission for each week.

Blessings,
Mary

Jenifer said...

Christ awareness month, day, minute, second. Preach it sister.

Blessings to you,
Jenifer

char72 said...

Hi Peggy,
I just wanted you to know that I had not forgotten about Mission 4 Monday. I didn't write a Mission 4 Monday post this week. I plan to do it some more in the future, however.
I understand a lot about bipolar as we have people in our family who suffer from it. My husband's father was bipolar and this was in the days before they really knew much about it so he spent his last several decades in a mental hospital. He died back in the 60s.
I read Nancie's post about her being bipolar some time ago. I have a dear niece named Nancy who is also bipolar. I have read of so many famous people both from the past and alive today who also had the disorder. I'm glad it is "out in the open" now and people are able to get help. But you are right, the best help we get for anything is from God and the Holy Spirit.
Thank you for sharing your story.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

DO THEY SEE JESUS IN ME?

*

We were ALL made for a mission...God has a unique purpose & plan for everyone.
ALL MONTH, Every Week, Every Day...it's a lifetime experience!
This is where we share MISSIONS that have been placed on our hearts or in our lives. For God has given each of us a purpose & a unique plan to fulfill.
If you are new to Mission4Monday, please click here for more info.
A very special thanks to those of you (you know WHO you are) that faithfully have posted a MISSION4MONDAY whether you remember to link or not I appreciate it and if you are a regular and I notice, I have been linking you to the LINKY!
You are welcome ALWAYS to leave in the current comments a link to anything you share MISSION wise.
Thank you for placing M4M button on your posts, I so appreciate it! YOU each have presented FABULOUS ideas weekly!
**********************************************
Micey also has been to Haiti and shared. Please pray for Micey. Once again she has returned to help in Haiti!
Lots going on over here at a mission field at home in the USA. PRAISE GOD & continue to pour out blessings on Auto Mission & Sherry w/Cowboy.
Nancie was a participant in the very beginning, but unable to currently blog actively. Yet she still has much good material to read in her previous posts along her sidebar of a worldwide health mission.
New blogger that shares MISSIONS at times:
Here's a current post she shared.
****************************************
Choose one or all or any & you will be blessed!
or
I also have another MISSION: to PRAY, so you can visit our team blog, THE LIGHTHOUSE of PRAYER over here
*******************************************
Mission 4 Monday sadly ended last year as a meme, but I continue to share here and I know others also share various MISSIONS, especially the people above. Check them out!!! Encourage and perhaps join us.
Since my life is a MISSION, I share whenever I can. There are many of you, who do community involvement/church events, volunteer opportunities or know missionaries that you could share to motivate others. Motherhood and Homeschooling are MISSIONS and callings!!!
Each of these are MISSIONS and important to encourage others.
If you are doing something or share someone's MISSION on your blog, please leave your info in the comments anytime! Hopefully others will notice & come visit. THANKS!